It is with great pleasure that I invite your organization to participate in our 4rd year summer youth camp, the “N.O.W. (Nonviolence Opportunity Watch) Encounter,” where youth will develop and enhance their leadership and teambuilding skills. The camp will prepare youth to be influential leaders and change agents serving as a catalyst to their peers. We’re presenting a fantastic opportunity for young people to experience an amazing week of Education, Inspiration and Entertainment.
The dates for the Camp are June 21 – 26th (Sunday – Friday) & July 12-17th (Sunday-Friday).
During the one-week camp the groups will take an over-night historical bus trip to Montgomery and Birmingham, Alabama.
- Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
- 16th Street Baptist Church
- Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church
- The Dexter Parsonage Museum
Applicants must be ages 13 – 18. Every one to five (1-5) applicants must be accompanied by one (1) adult chaperone. Chaperones are expected to participate in the nonviolence education activities designed specifically for them (separate from the youth) which will benefit them personally and support the youth in their continuing nonviolence learning. The registration fee is $150.00 per person (students and chaperones individually) for the week, all meals are included. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and participants will be notified if accepted for the camp.
Attending the camp will equip the youth to:
- Serve as examples to their peers by managing conflicts so situations do not become violent - verbally, mentally or physically
- Use the principles of nonviolence based on Dr. King’s philosophy to combat bullying by creating nonviolent zones at home, at school and in their communities
- Develop leadership skills that will enable them to think before they act, so they do not act or react violently
- Understand how benefits they have today relate to history
While the upcoming summer will offer youth many choices for how they can spend their vacation time, we hope you will consider sending your youth to the “N.O.W. Encounter” summer camp which promises to be an action-packed, fun-filled and life-changing week.
Project Administrator, Programs Department
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED